Are You Building Up or Tearing Down?
The book of Nehemiah teaches us how to respond to things that are being torn down that are precious to us, and to God. It could be your marriage, your family, your business, a friendship, or your country. What did Nehemiah do as soon as he heard that his beloved city was torn down? Let us read in Nehemiah 1:4.
“So it was, when I heard these words, that I sat down and wept, and mourned for many days. I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.” Nehemiah 1:4
Nehemiah mourned the destruction of his city. Are you mourning what is happening in your city, your country right now? I hope so. And if you are then you are on the first step to seeing it restored.
The Book of Nehemiah shows us the 7-step strategy to rebuilding what has been torn down:
1. Burden – you must feel deeply, even grieve what has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
2. Vision – Chapter 2:4 says that he wanted to “rebuild it”. What is your vision? What do you want to see happen in your life, marriage, city, nation, world?
3. Provision – When the king asked Nehemiah what he wanted; Nehemiah knew exactly what he needed to fulfill the vision. Have you thought through what it will take to see your vision come to pass? If not, think it through, then ask God for it.
4. Protection – Nehemiah knew he would face serious opposition. Satan will oppose anything God calls you to do or be.
5. Clarity – Chapter 2:13 says that Nehemiah went through the entire city, at night, alone, to survey the damage.
6. Perseverance – when the enemy came against him again and again, he did not waver.
7. Completion – he finished the job.
Are you willing to go all the way with what God has called you to do? Are you helping or hurting what is precious to God, to you, to others? Sometimes you can get so discouraged, and even despondent, that you lose all hope, all vision, and at that point, the Bible says you will, “…cast off restraint.” Proverbs 29:18
That is an extremely dangerous place to be. Self-control is huge in being one who builds up and not tears down.
I want to encourage you to go to God and get his heart for your marriage, your family, your company, your church, your friends, your city, your nation, our world. God so LOVED the world that He gave His only Son.
God had/has a burden for our world. God has a vision for our world – the gospel. God has provided for his vision – His Son’s death and resurrection. God has given us protection by giving us His authority over the devil. God gives us clarity every day as we walk in His Spirit. God enables us to persevere by strengthening us in our times of weakness. God will not quit until the vision is complete at Jesus’ return.
Are you working with God or against God? Are you building up or tearing down?